aubreybackscheider

Expatable Family

Professed bibliophile with 12 active cards spanning four continents.

The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home
Susan Wise Bauer, Jessie Wise
Think and Grow Rich: The Landmark Bestseller--Now Revised and Updated for the 21st Century
Napoleon Hill
The Abolition of Man - C.S. Lewis CS Lewis addresses the British public in this short essay on his feelings about the removal of teaching values in the school system. The use of elegant rhetoric is superb, on par with what I would expect from such a reputable writer.

Lewis argues in favour of a set of Universal values, one that a modern education system 'shies' from teaching. He believes certain responses to the nature of man are more appropriate and just than others, and tries to merit them through examples of multiple religious teachings. While I largely agree that trained emotional responses is a critical part of intelligence, the vehicle by which one must find this training is arguable.

Lewis outlines these values briefly in the final 20 pages, drawing from the Tao and ten commandments. Every time I read a list of 'universal' truths, they make me squirm the same way watching the Days of Wine & Roses makes me wonder what else we resign to in the name of tradition and 'values'. I enjoyed entertaining Lewis's notions for an evening, and hope to to learn more from him in future reads.